Browsing Conference Proceedings and Seminar Papers by Issue Date
Now showing 1 - 20 of 94
Results Per Page
- ItemCOURSE CREDIT SYSTEM (CCS), UNIVERSITY EXAMINATIONS AND DEGREE CLASSIFICATION(1998-03-20) Ibrahim, Umar
- ItemADOPTION OF IMPROVED SORGHUM VARIETIES IN THE NORTH -WEST ZONE OF NIGERIA(1998-09-25) Atala, T.K.; Macaver, O.J.; Aba, D.A.
- ItemEFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT OF POST PRIMARY SCHOOL LIBRARIES FOR EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE(2000-08-09) Ibrahim, UmarDespite the present state of school libraries in Nigeria, this paper proposes strategies through which they could effectively, efficiently and successfully be managed. It concludes that hope is still not lost and that if the proposed strategics are adopted and implemented, school libraries could help produce an excellent school and Educational systems.
- ItemA REVIEW OF WOMEN INVOLVEMENT IN WARFARE(2000-09) DAUDU, H.MTradition has placed women in the home . it is the men who arc to dominate the public life of human societies. However, this paper gives examples of women who have been exceptional, and have actively participated in public life. Some of them have been involved in actual warfare. The Writer'has described the discrimination against women in Nigeria and other parts of the world .Then she pointed out that women should promote peace and be more active in fighting for their rights, and societal ills such as secret cults ,discase , sexual harassment than taking part in physical combat. The paper concludes by pointing out that efforts arc being made at national and international levels to enhance women participation in public life, and so women should not rest on their oars but fight the war of freedom from exploitation and discriminatory policies
- ItemEVALUATING ACADAMIC LIBRARIES' BOOK VENDORS PERFORMANCE: A CASE STUDY OF KASHIM IBRAHIM LIBRARY'S VENDORS(2001) Ibrahim, UmarIn a time of information explosion, proliferation of publishers and vendors, spiraling cost of information materials and ihe in adequate funding of academic libraries, the acquisition department of academic libraries must determine which book Vendors are serving them most. To do this successfully, libraries need to evaluate the performance of their Vendors. This research work is therefore the result of an attempt to evaluate Kashim Ibrahim Library's Vendors with the aim of determining how well they are providing library materials and services in accordance with the need of the library. from the data collected and analysed, the paper concludes dial the library is satisfied with the performance of all its foreign Vendors and more than half of its local Vendors.
- ItemThe Role of School Library Media Centre in the Management of Education Resources(2001-08) DAUDU, H.MThe paper stalled by assessing ihc term "Media Centre" that is currently in sonic quarters used in place of School Library. The functions of the media center were enumerated. Using the resources provided at the centre, the paper discussed what both teachers, curriculum planners and students can benefit, from the media center. The paper gave a run-down of what would be required to establish school libraries. Among the requirements apart from materials, personnel requirement was discussed. The paper agreed with other writers that a professional is required. Finally, the paper discussed the monitoring role of the ERC vis-a-vis its position in promoting Library services in schools.
- ItemTHE NEED FOR AN INTEGRATED RECORDS MANAGEMENT IN THE MUSLIM STUDENTS' SOCIETY OF NIGERIA(2002-09-07) Ibrahim, UmarThe paper discusses the need for records management in the Muslim Students' Society of Nigeria. The problems of records creation, control and management were highlighted and solutions advanced. As a way forward, the paper discusses the basic elements of records management members of the Muslim Students' Society need to know and master.
- ItemDEPARTMENT OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE, AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY,ZARIA: PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE(2003-11-06) Ibrahim, Umar
- ItemREFERENCE POLICY FORMULATION AND IMPLEMENTATION IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES(2003-12) Ibrahim, UmarThe paper discusses the weed and importance of Reference and Information policy statements as means of providing effective, efficient and relevant Library and Information services. The paper presents a sample reference and information.policy statement for adoption by Nigerian University Libraries and other Libraries.
- ItemNIGERIAN SCHOOL LIBRARIES IN AN EMERGING INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES (ICT) ENVIRONMENT(2004-03-22) Ibrahim, UmarThe paper shows that the Nigerian society is an emerging Information ami Communication Technology (ICT) society and that the best place to nurture information handling skills and information literacy for life-long development is the Nigerian school library. Discussing the challenges of Nigerian school libraries in an emerging ICT environment, the paper highlights funding and capacity building as the major problems towards successful ICT applications and use in Nigerian school libraries.
- ItemSTRATEGIES FOR THE PROMOTION OF SUSTAINABLE READING CULTURE FOR LIFE-LONG DEVELOPMENT AMONG THE NIGERIAN YOUTH(2004-03-23) Ibrahim, UmarAfter providing an overview of Readership Promotion Campaign (RPC) in Nigeria, the paper opined that reading culture in Nigeria is today in double jeopardy. Of course, the recent “viewing culture” adopted by most Nigerians is seen as the most serious threats to previous efforts made by governments, organizations and individuals in the establishment of effective reading habit. The paper provides strategies such as, home, school partnership and special programmes, as well as how the ICTs can be effectively used to complement and advance reading culture. Specifically, activities such as Mothers’ involvement in reading and readership programmes, book talk, talk shows, profiling were proposed. The paper concludes that with effective funding, training and motoring and evaluation, reading culture can adequately be established
- ItemBUDGETING FOR EFFECTIVE SCHOOL LIBRARY SERVICES(2004-10) Ibrahim, UmarThe paper observes that the rapid development of Nigerian School Library, as a result of government realization of its importance and impact on the attainment of educational and National development could be attributed to the persistent effort of proponents of School Library. However, among all the aspects of School Library extensively discussed, budget seems to be the leastThe paper therefore highlights the different sources of funds for School Library and discusses budget and budgeting techniques for effective School Library system and services. It concludes that fund or no funds; budget and budgeting should be an integral part of the School Librarian role and job.
- ItemCREATING AWARENESS IN INFORMATION SOURCES & SERVICES AMONG USERS OE HEALTH INFORMATION SYSTEMS IN NIGERIA(2004-12-03) Ibrahim, UmarThe paper discusses four broad types of health information sources. Highlighting the problems of availability of health information resources in Nigerian medical/health institutions and libraries and information centers, the paper provides different kinds of information service that can be provided to health workers. The paper concludes by calling for adequate funding of medical/health libraries in the country. Also a call is made on the need to reposition the Health Management Information Systems established in the country.
- ItemAPPLICATION OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FOR INCREASED AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION FOR ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT AND SELF-SUFFICIENCY IN KADUNA STATE(2005) ABA, D.A.The focus of this paper is to examine how science and technology can be employed in order to increase agricultural productivity in Kaduna State. An attempt was made to identify the factors militating against farmers achieving optimum output in their farming enterprises and how to overcome these factors. It also look at the utilization of the increase agricultural produce by industrial processors within and outside the State for economic empowerment and self sufficiency.
- ItemPROCEEDINGS OF THE WORKSHOP ON POSTGRADUATE STUDIES AND SUPERVISION IN AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY ZARIA(2006-03) MOHAMMED, Zakari
- ItemAPPROACH AND STRATEGIES FOR WRITING QUALITY ACADEMIC PAPERS(2006-04-11) MOHAMMED, ZakariThe paper discusses the essence of writing academic paper, qualities of good academic paper and type. It highlights the strategic steps for and approaches to writing quality academic paper. It concludes that for all intent and purposes the writer should have a focus, be ready to accept constructive reviews and criticisms, and above all be determined.
- ItemSTRATEGIES FOR PROMOTING CULTURE OF REFORMS IN NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES(2006-08) Ibrahim, Umar; MUSA, Abdullahi IbrahimNigerian universities like other public service organizations have been facing problems since the economic depression of the 1980s. Over the years there have been a lot of concerns and worries on how universities can be revitalized to bring back the lost glory. Several measures of reforms were introduced into the university system. But as in other re/arm programs in the public sectors across Nigeria and Africa, the reform programs implemented, did not bring sustainable results. The conditions of ailing organizations are not better than before the reform programs started even among the World Bank's inspired reforms. If reforms are to be effective and sustainable in universities, experts have suggested the use of cultural reformation by developing cultures that support, encourage and reward innovations and change. Therefore this paper is based on the premise that, achieving excellence in universities depends on development of organizational and operating culture that favors changes and innovations. First, it-provided a generalized conceptual framework of reforms issues in public organizations. Second, it explores (he relationship between organizational culture and the management of change. Third, it provides broad outlines of a comprehensive reform strategy, centered on changing university cultures.
- ItemSTANDARDIZATION AND SPECIFICATION OF INSTRUCTIONAL FACILITIES IN LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE PROGRAMME IN NIGERIA(2007-01-27) Ibrahim, UmarTracing the development of library and information science education in Nigeria, the paper reveals the inadequacy of standards for library schools at both international and national levels. Reviewing the only Nigerian standard, the paper establishes, as reported by other scholars, (he defects of (he standard and the consistent inadequacies in the product of the existing bachelor of library science (BLS) programme. In the light of this, the paper supports the timely call by the National Association of Library and Information Science Educators (NALISE) on the need to come up with more comprehensive Standards for library and information science schools in Nigeria Hence, the paper proposes for inclusion into the compressive standards, to be prepared by the National Association of Library and Information Science Educators (NALISE) the types and quantities of instructional facilities each library school in the country should have for adequate knowledge creation, organization and dissemination
- ItemORGANIZING AND MANAGING LIBRARIES IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY (FCT) ABUJA, NIGERIA(2008) Ibrahim, UmarA lot of literatures on school librarianship have indicated the absence of library in our primary schools, and where it exist, is in most cases not functional. Management as defined by many scholars is maximizing scarce resources for the value of organization, whether small or big. In line with this definition, this paper discusses strategies, such as planning, budgeting, organizing and crating services, the school librarian needs to effectively manage the school library