1 - 5 of 99
- ItemPERCEPTION AND UTILIZATION OF SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORK AMONG ADOLESCENTS IN SAMARU COMMUNITY, SABONGARI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA(2021)The paper examines the perception and utilization of social media network among adolescents in Samaru community, Nigeria. This study is guided by four research questions. The design of the study is survey method and the sampling design used for the study is simple random sampling. The population consists of adolescents between the ages of 10-19 in Samaru community, Nigeria. The instrument used for data collection was questionnaire. Data generated was analyzed using frequency tables and percentages. It was found out that, majority of the adolescents in Samaru community prefer to use whatsup and facebook as their most preferred social media. The findings further revealed that, adolescents in Samaru community perceive social media to be a kind of network where they can only send and receive messages and chat with friends. The study recommend that parents should checkmate the dailies activities of their wards, as this may change their mind setting.
- ItemROLES OF LIBRARIANS TOWARDS THE PROVISION OF DRUG INFORMATION RESOURCES AND SERVICES TO HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS(2021-08-17)This paper examines the roles of Roles of Librarians towards the Provision of Drug Information Resources and Services to Health Care Professionals. It describes how Librarian and health care providers could use the Internet as source of drug information to patients. Sources of drug information provided by Health care professionals were also discussed such as primary, secondary and tertiary sources. Advantages and disadvantages of using internet based drug information were emphasized. The paper also looked at how Nigerian Librarians and Health care professionals use electronic drug information resources to provide quality and new techniques, new products and new information to patients. Some factors that influenced the use of electronic drug information resources were also outlined such as: attitudes of librarians towards the provision of drug information resources, health care information and services delivery etc. It concluded that Health Care Professional and the Librarian should be able play a vital roles of providing relevant information resources to patients who needs it to satisfy their information needs.
- ItemWEALTH CREATION FOR NIGERIAN YOUTHS THROUGH INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGYAND ENTREPRENEURSHIP FOR SUSTAINABLE NATIONAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT(2021-08-05)The paper look at wealth creation for Nigerian youths through entrepreneurship and Information and Communication Technology(ICT) for sustainable national economic development. ICT is the digital processing and utilization of information by the use of electronic computers. It covers all forms of computer and communications equipment and software used to create, design, store, transmit, interpret and manipulate information in its various formats. The quality performance of the entrepreneur determines whether capital would grow rapidly or slowly and whether the growth involves innovations. Entrepreneurship is a veritable tool for the achievement of inclusive growth and consequently sustainable development. In order to reduce unemployment and createwealth opportunity for Sustainable National EconomicDevelopment, Federal Government introduced some programmes such as NPower, Youth Empowerment and Development Initiative (YEDI), Start-up Nigeria 2019, Trader Money, African Youth Empowerment of Nigeria (AYEN) etc. The paper concluded thatICT skills and entrepreneurship development leads to economic development, job creativity, economic sustainability, individual self-reliance, improved standard of living better awareness and practice. The way forward for proper wealth creation and sustainable entrepreneurship development, Federal Government and indeed other tiers of government in Nigeria should provide the enabling environment for the activities of entrepreneurs like provision of ICT skills, infrastructures, enacting and formulating of laws and policies that will aid entrepreneurship development in the country.
- ItemSTAFF TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT IN AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE, NIGERIA: A SURVEY(2022-10-25)This study was conducted with the main objective of surveying how training and development has impacted on staff of Kashim Ibrahim Library at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria. Two research questions were put together for the study. The survey research design was used. The study population consisted of 508 staff members from K.I.L A.B.U, Zaria. The researcher used a target sample of 227 faculty members and non-academics in the study area using the Taro Yamane formula. A simple random sample was used as the sampling method to collect data from the study participants. A questionnaire was used as a data collection tool and was subjected to face and content verification by experts in the field of Library and Information Science. The data collected for this study were analyzed using the descriptive statistics and presented in the form of tables and percentages. The results of the study showed that communication skills, knowledge management skills, operational education programs and regular Information Communication Technology training were the main programs that had the greatest impact on respondents in terms of training and development in K.I.L, It also showed that most respondents indicated a lack of funding for employee representation, and low budget allocations for libraries, lack of more sponsored training programmes e.t.c as the main problems confronting staff during training and development. It concluded that the good development of human resources (staff members) increases the value of services provided to increase efficiency in organizations. It was also recommended that appropriate training facilities be made available to improve staff development, particularly in relation to ICT facilities for effective library services, and that budgetary allocations be increased for staff development programs at K.I.L so that the number of staff could be increased for sponsored training that would help them learn and develop their skills.
- ItemAccessing agricultural information by rural farmers through mobile phones in Karaye Local Government Area of Kano State, Nigeria(Journal of ICT Development, Applications and Research, 2021-04)This study investigated access to agricultural information by rural farmers through mobile phones in Karaye Local Government Area of Kano State, Nigeria. The objectives of the study include: ascertaining how the rural farmers access agricultural information through mobile phones in Karaye Local Government Area, Kano State; finding out the sources of accessing agricultural information by rural farmers in Karaye Local Government Area; and determining the challenges that these farmers face in accessing agricultural information through mobile phones. A survey research method was used for the study. The study population comprised 1,279 registered rural farmers, 121 farmers, and three (3) wards were purposively selected as sample. A structured and closed-ended questionnaire was designed and used for the data collection. One hundred and twenty-one (121) copies of the questionnaires were administered to the registered farmers, out of which 95 copies were returned, representing 78%. Data collected were analyzed using descriptive statistics of frequencies and percentages. The findings of the study reveal that rural farmers' significant mean access to agricultural information through mobile phones was short message service (SMS); that most farmers sourced agricultural information from their other farmers (colleagues) through mobile phones; that majority of the rural farmers indicated that the inability to access agricultural information from the formal sources (research institutes, extension workers, researchers) and lack of sufficient and wide mobile phone network coverage in the communities were the challenges being faced. The study recommends that: the Federal Government of Nigeria should through the National Communication Commission (NCC) liaise with telecommunication companies to reduce the rate of call charges so that rural farmers can make direct calls apart from Short Message Service (SMS) to extension workers or any other agricultural stakeholders to access agrarian information easily. Farmers should be sourcing agricultural information from research institutes, researchers, and extension workers apart from their colleagues (other farmers) to access relevant and up-to-date information to help achieve sufficient production and prevent poor harvest. The study concludes that with timely access to relevant agricultural information by rural farmers Nigeria can attain food sufficiency.